Monday, December 12, 2011

10.12.2011


10.12.2011
Bonjour tout le monde.  I’m half awake on the couch at the case in Yaounde.  I left Bafia yesterday and am now in route to Bertoua.  Left it because the PST est complete!  53 people swore in yesterday and pushed Cameroon's volunteer number over 200.  The swear in ceremony induced a sureal feeling in my corps.  It wasn't super fancy or anything, but it was interesting sitting there knowing it was the event waited upon after PST and right before post.  Everyone was looking super fly/ beautiful in their panya.  We got to hear many speeches.  Three were given from the new volunteers about their experience in PST.  One in French, Fulfulde, and Pidgin.  The director of training, country director, and ambassador spoke.  Its got to be a unique experience to work for the PC and get to see groups of enthusiastic Americans going out into Cameroon after training and see how their doing a year, or at COS.  Human interaction is interesting.  There was boucoup de photographs that day.  So many cameras.  Serving in the Peace Corps in the new millennium is a very different experience than all previous decades.  From what I could assume.  Internet, Computers, Instant pictures, Facebook.  Its a trip.  Its a trip being in the case and seeing over half the volunteers on their laptops using the internet to skype or fb.  Its a blessing to have that connivence to keep in touch with loved ones rapidly, but its just different.  There are a lot of old school pictures here from volunteers in the 70s and 80s. Back to the last day in Baifia.  After the ceremony we had a homestay family appreciation lunch that was delicious.  My mom got super dressed up and even put on a weave to have straight hair.  I didn’t recognize her at the ceremony when I was searching, but everyones family got super dressed up.  The CD went around to each family and gave a certificate and took pictures with them.  Then anyone got a picture with the Ambassador that wanted one.  My mom had to peace out early because she had to get back to work.  My dad was sick and couldn’t even make it to the lunch.  Ensuit people started going to the hotel for the big shin dig that went goes down at the end of every stage.  I went early to take a nap to have energy for all the dancing that was gonna go down.  That was the first night after 4 months where we didn’t have a curfew or get one extended.  The party that night was a lot of fun.  There was so much dancing.  People could wring out their shirts and some people changed into new clothes throughout the night.  Our formatures and formatreces where there.  The people who have been teaching us all throughout PST.  I went to bed early compared to most, but I had to say peace out to my family the following morning before loading up to come to Yaounde.  It was nice walking through Bafia at 6 in the morning.  That was the first time I’ve done that.  The sun was barley up.  The air was real cool and there was fog everywhere.  The roads were pretty empty, not many people or motos running.  It was also quite.  No school children.  No deranging.  It was a nice atmosphere for my final promenade in Bafia.  When I got home mama told me my dad slept at the hospital because of work.  My sisters were in different, the 8 year old didn’t want to give me a hug.  Mama was nice and gave me a speech that I didn’t completely understand, but I got the gist.  I gave my last hugs and before I left on the road I turned around for one last goodbye they were just back in the routine of morning chores.  
***********
Okay, this is another entry where I changed locations and let a lot of time pass before I finished.  I am not in Bertoua staying at the East case waiting for 2 more volunteers to come in for the night.  We arrived yesterday, but stayed today to get some things in the regional capital for our new homes.  All I needed was a stove and gas tank and there is currently no gas in Bertoua.  There are also 2 visitors here from the SW region.  A SED and ED volunteer.  Their school is on break so they are traveling to the East and then to the North.  Its lucky that we even got into the case.  We were given keys, but the one for the outside door didn’t work.  Although the cleaning lady just happened to be there that day and at the time we arrived.  It only cost 200 CFA to stay at the case per night.  Thats less than 50 cents.  Its cheaper than other cases because it gets less traffic.  The one at PC headquarters cost 500 CFA a night.  That place is more like a frat house.  A majority of people don’t clean up after themselves or come home at 5 in the morning because the gates close at 11. 
Jessica and Jupiter will be at the agency to meet us tomorrow, but they depart the following day to head to Yaounde for their wedding.  Once I get to post it will be another welcomed change.  “Nassada” is the word for white person in Fulfuldie.  That spellings not correct.  Its what the Muslims call us.  Side note, I was right about that Amanda homegirl getting the star trainee award.  Hommies just arrived now.  The cost of the trip was 4.000 and we paid 5.000 to get all of our property on the bus.  So like $20 to go over 300 km with all the stuff I’m moving with.  Its gonna be like 4.000 cfa to get from here to Batouri.  First thing I’m doing when I get to post is changing my locks.  Theres not much I need to do with my crib.  Get a mattress.  I’m going to be pretty frugal like I am in the states.  There is already a good amount of furniture and other household supplies waiting at my crib.  I lucked out with that.  I’m distracted.  Im trying to write and talk at the same time and I know will just end up making another break in this post.  Toodles for now.                            

No comments:

Post a Comment